First time from England

eröffnet von sw04 am 26.05.2015 11:45 Uhr
21 Kommentare - zuletzt von roxar

sw04
26.05.2015 11:45

Hello, I am looking forward to coming to Rock Am Ring for the first time but I have a couple of questions. Hopefully anyone can help.

We are staying in the camper van section and arriving on Friday. We were hoping to be able to park 2 vans together and have a tent up between the vans. Is this allowed and should we expect problems because of arriving on the Friday?

What options are there for people who do not drink beer inside the arena?

Are there any other general tips for a newbie who has only been to UK festivals before?

Thankyou!

Topf
Topf
26.05.2015 12:04

Do you have a caravan badge for both vans? The information page for caravan campers says the badges are already sold out.

Friday is a bit late for arriving at Rock am Ring, most of the crowd will come on Wednesday or Thursday. So there won't be much free space left on the caravan site but i think two vans and one tent should be possible. The information page says it's allowed to place two tents next to each camper.

General tipps aren't easy to tell, because this is the first time Rock am Ring will be in Mendig. Nobody knows anything about the area and so on.

sw04
26.05.2015 12:13

Topf schrieb:
Do you have a caravan badge for both vans? The information page for caravan campers says the badges are already sold out.

Friday is a bit late for arriving at Rock am Ring, most of the crowd will come on Wednesday or Thursday. So there won't be much free space left on the caravan site but i think two vans and one tent should be possible. The information page says it's allowed to place two tents next to each camper.

General tipps aren't easy to tell, because this is the first time Rock am Ring will be in Mendig. Nobody knows anything about the area and so on.

Zitat anzeigen

Thankyou for the reply.

Yes we have 2 caravan badges, we were hoping to get there on Thursday but it wasn't possible unfortunately.

It would not be too bad if we can't park the vans together but hopefully we can. Even if we have to park them separately I'm hoping we can also put up a tent next to one of them.

I have been trying to find out as much information as possible by translating things the best I can. The rules appear to be mostly the same as I am used to at Download festival and suchlike.

Requexx
26.05.2015 12:14

You´re allowed to take a sealed 1 litre tetra pak (idk if its called like that in english) with you on the festival ground. You´ll be able to buy drinks, alcoholic and non-alcoholic, on the festival ground aswell. But they´re expensive (+-5€).

Plus, there will be a super market (Lidl Rockshop) where you can buy all kind of food and drinks (warning, it will be crowded!). Might be useful if you´re not looking forward to bring your own food all the way to germany.

You might want to check out the festival page, i think english language is available there, too.

sw04
26.05.2015 12:29

Requexx schrieb:
You´re allowed to take a sealed 1 litre tetra pak (idk if its called like that in english) with you on the festival ground. You´ll be able to buy drinks, alcoholic and non-alcoholic, on the festival ground aswell. But they´re expensive (+-5€).

Plus, there will be a super market (Lidl Rockshop) where you can buy all kind of food and drinks (warning, it will be crowded!). Might be useful if you´re not looking forward to bring your own food all the way to germany.

You might want to check out the festival page, i think english language is available there, too.

Zitat anzeigen

Thankyou.

Yes that makes sense to me. I think I have read that beer is about €3.50 which is good for my friends who like it. I normally drink cider but do not know if that is for sale at RAR.

I think we are going to be bringing some food with us but I have read elsewhere that there is not really a lot of food for sale in the camping area?

Topf
Topf
26.05.2015 12:43

This year is the first time that there is a real supermarket available on the camp ground, so we all don't even know how this would be. I think they won't have the same full assortment as a regular supermarket, but they advertise to have the same prices as in every normal store around germany and this is really cheap.

Nevertheless Mendig village isn't far away and there are a lot of shopping facilities too.

Requexx
26.05.2015 12:48

sw04 schrieb:

Requexx schrieb:

Zitat anzeigen

Thankyou.

Yes that makes sense to me. I think I have read that beer is about €3.50 which is good for my friends who like it. I normally drink cider but do not know if that is for sale at RAR.

I think we are going to be bringing some food with us but I have read elsewhere that there is not really a lot of food for sale in the camping area?

Zitat anzeigen

Last year, a beer was around 5€... Sodas were around 4€, i remember.

Normally you are right, but because of the change of place there now is a small town, Mendig, right next to the camping and festival area.

If you take a look at the festival map klick, the super markets will be around the spot where the two streets cross.

It´s new for all of us, so we´re not able to give you any further information about those shopping options.

EDIT: I don´t have seen cider being sold before, but you might be lucky!

Angel_of_Death
26.05.2015 12:51

If you're travelling with a camper bringing your own food is probably your best option, since you don't have that much problems in terms of space etc.

I am afraid there won't be any cider on the festival ground, if you don't like beer I think your best bet would be cocktails, longdrinks and stuff (but they're not really cheap).

sw04
26.05.2015 13:00

Topf schrieb:
This year is the first time that there is a real supermarket available on the camp ground, so we all don't even know how this would be. I think they won't have the same full assortment as a regular supermarket, but they advertise to have the same prices as in every normal store around germany and this is really cheap.

Nevertheless Mendig village isn't far away and there are a lot of shopping facilities too.

Zitat anzeigen

That is good to know. I have looked at the price list for the supermarket and they seem to sell quite a lot of stuff. I imagine it will be busy but useful if needed.

sw04
26.05.2015 13:04

Requexx schrieb:

sw04 schrieb:

Requexx schrieb:

Zitat anzeigen

Thankyou.

Zitat anzeigen

Last year, a beer was around 5€... Sodas were around 4€, i remember.

Normally you are right, but because of the change of place there now is a small town, Mendig, right next to the camping and festival area.

If you take a look at the festival map klick, the super markets will be around the spot where the two streets cross.

It´s new for all of us, so we´re not able to give you any further information about those shopping options.

EDIT: I don´t have seen cider being sold before, but you might be lucky!

Zitat anzeigen

€5 does not sound too bad, I think that price is to be expected at a festival.

I admit, I did not expect there to be cider on sale but I am sure there will be something that I can drink!

sw04
26.05.2015 13:05

Angel_of_Death schrieb:
If you're travelling with a camper bringing your own food is probably your best option, since you don't have that much problems in terms of space etc.

I am afraid there won't be any cider on the festival ground, if you don't like beer I think your best bet would be cocktails, longdrinks and stuff (but they're not really cheap).

Zitat anzeigen

Yes, I think that is the best plan. It is probably cheaper that way as well.

I thought that might be the case about drinks. I presume there will be vodka and jagermeister on sale though!

Requexx
26.05.2015 13:11

sw04 schrieb:

Angel_of_Death schrieb:

Zitat anzeigen

Yes, I think that is the best plan. It is probably cheaper that way as well.

I thought that might be the case about drinks. I presume there will be vodka and jagermeister on sale though!

Zitat anzeigen

They do!

And now that you mention Jägermeister, they usually do have some crazy ideas selling their drinks at Rock am Ring!

For example this one

KleineJule
26.05.2015 13:37

Camping, food and drinks have been answered now...

But in general i had the feeling that the german crowd is younger and wilder than the english crowd (just have isle of wight to compare though)... and there is this thing about circle pits, i dont get it, but the young crowd really really really likes them even if its not fitting for the songs or bands

The last few years a sentiment of staying in front of one stage the whole day was established, so the crowd rarely changed as a whole between acts, but that was due to the area... now at the new place it will hopefully be diffrent again, so you can change stages between bands and get a good spot anyway

sw04
26.05.2015 13:47

Requexx schrieb:

They do!

And now that you mention Jägermeister, they usually do have some crazy ideas selling their drinks at Rock am Ring!

For example this one

Zitat anzeigen

A bar in the air?! Looks brilliant!

sw04
26.05.2015 13:50

KleineJule schrieb:
Camping, food and drinks have been answered now...

But in general i had the feeling that the german crowd is younger and wilder than the english crowd (just have isle of wight to compare though)... and there is this thing about circle pits, i dont get it, but the young crowd really really really likes them even if its not fitting for the songs or bands

The last few years a sentiment of staying in front of one stage the whole day was established, so the crowd rarely changed as a whole between acts, but that was due to the area... now at the new place it will hopefully be diffrent again, so you can change stages between bands and get a good spot anyway

Zitat anzeigen

Haha , II can imagine it being quite similar to Download Festival but I guess I will find out soon.

People would just stay in the same place all day? Was that because it was hard to move between stages? Or simply because people didn't want to lose their spot?

roxar
roxar
26.05.2015 13:55

It was quite hard on the old festival site as they had a special entrance system there due to "shortcomings" with the location. You had to be very early (or lucky) to get a good spot.

KleineJule
26.05.2015 13:56

A little bit of both... the front of stage area was divided in three partsand the first two could be closed if the crowd was to big... so if you were in the first one and went to another stage, it was not that easy to get back to the first one (which means a good spot)... so a lot of people just stayed in one spot the whole day... but that was just for the main stage, everywhere else was fine and i think it will be diffrent anyway with the new area...

But it could be that this "staying in the same spot" is becoming a habit and even though it might be easier to change between stages, the people will stay where they are once they found a good spot

But thats really all just speculations nobody knows how its gonna work with the new festival site

sw04
26.05.2015 14:10

Ahh yes. I guess some things will be new for everyone as much as they are for me then.

I do not think we will be desperate to get too close to the stages so that is not a big problem.

sw04
10.06.2015 19:06

I found the whole weekend a very enjoyable experience. We had no issues with camping together in the caravan site and was able to basically get parked up straight away.

I was also able to find a stall that specifically sold cider as well which was a nice surprise as I did not expect to be able to find it on sale. I was worried I was going to be spending €7.50 per drink! I even had a few people coming up and asking me where I had bought it from.

The Friday night storm was pretty crazy. We did not realise how serious it had been until we got home and read news reports about what had happened. I've never heard thunder so loud, it sounded like it was right above us.

Everyone we met was very friendly and particularly on the Friday night we spent hours outside of the Alternatent chatting with some people about the bands and the difference between Rock am Ring and Download festival.

I was wondering how people found the new site compared with the old one? Any better or worse?

roxar
roxar
10.06.2015 19:43

The new festival site (infield) is much better. There is more space and everything is more relaxed. At the old site it took much more time to change the stages and if you wanted to see a big headliner (like Metallica or Die toten Hosen) in front of the stage you had to be there the whole day and wait for them. This year you had the chance to get into the first section right before the Foo Fighters started, because there is much more space in front of the Volcano stage. Also the camping site is much closer to the festival site. There were some problems (e.g. the gravel at the main entrance, undersized camping sites) that are easy to resolve.
I think that the festival will profit quite much from the new site.

roxar
roxar
10.06.2015 19:43

I forgot one "disadvantage". The camping rules at the new site are much stricter as the site is part of a water protection area. The old Rock am Ring was quite popular for its "anarchic" camping

Anzeige
Anzeige